อนุสาวรีย์ปืนสามกระบอก
อนุสาวรีย์ปืนสามกระบอก     
     อนุสาวรีย์ปืนสามกระบอกตั้งอยู่ในบริเวณเขามอ สร้างขึ้นเพื่อรำลึกถึงผู้เสียชีวิตจากเหตุการณ์
ปืนใหญ่ที่เอามาทำเป็นไฟพะเนียงแตกในคราวงานฉลองสมโภชพระอารามเมื่อพุทธศักราช ๒๓๗๙ เป็นเหตุให้มีผู้เสียชีวิตถึง ๗ คน และได้รับบาดเจ็บเป็นจำนวนมาก 

      นายแพทย์ แดน บีช บรัดเลย์ (Dan Beach Bradley) มิชชันนารีชาวอเมริกันได้บันทึกไว้ว่า  ในงานฉลองวัดประยุรวงศาวาส เมื่อพุทธศักราช ๒๓๗๙ ได้มีการทำไฟพะเนียงด้วยปืนใหญ่ โดยฝังโคนกระบอกปืนใหญ่ลงในพื้นดิน เมื่อจุดชนวนขึ้น ปืนใหญ่เกิดระเบิดแตกออกเป็นชิ้นเล็กชิ้นน้อย สะเก็ดปืนใหญ่ได้กระเด็นไปไกลถึงฝั่งพระนคร ทำให้มีผู้บาดเจ็บล้มตายเป็นจำนวนมาก ปรากฏในพระราชพงศาวดารกรุงรัตนโกสินทร์ รัชกาลที่ ๓ ฉบับเจ้าพระยาทิพากรวงศ์ (ขำ บุนนาค) บุตรชายสมเด็จเจ้าพระยาบรมมหาประยูรวงศ์ ความตอนหนึ่งว่า “…ครั้นมาถึง ณ วันศุกร์ เดือน ๒ ขึ้น ๗ ค่ำ เจ้าพระยาพระคลังมีการฉลองวัดประยูรวงศ์ พระสงฆ์ในวัดได้ปืนเปรียมกระสุน ๕ นิ้ว ชำรุด หูพะเนียงหัก ทิ้งอยู่ในวัดบอก ๑ เอาทำไฟพะเนียงจุดในวันแรก พระเจ้าของผู้ทำเข้าไปจุดเอง ปืนแตกกระจายออกไป…”

      ขณะนั้นหมอบรัดเลย์ อาศัยอยู่ในบ้านเช่าที่สมเด็จเจ้าพระยาบรมมหาประยูรวงศ์ขณะดำรงตำแหน่งเจ้าพระยาพระคลังให้สร้างขึ้นใกล้กับท่าน้ำวัดประยุรวงศาวาส (เดิมหมอบรัดเลย์พักกับพวกเชื้อสายโปรตุเกสที่โบสถ์ซางตาครูซ) ซึ่งอยู่ห่างจากที่เกิดเหตุประมาณ ๒๕๐ เมตร  สมเด็จเจ้าพระยาบรมมหาประยูรวงศ์ให้คนตามตัวหมอบรัดเลย์ไปรักษาผู้บาดเจ็บ พระรูปหนึ่งกระดูกแขนแตก หมอบรัดเลย์จำต้องตัดแขนของพระรูปนั้น การผ่าตัดประสบผลสำเร็จ บาดแผลหายสนิทในเวลาไม่นานนัก การรักษาด้วยวิธีการผ่าตัด ณ วัดประยุรวงศาวาส ในครั้งนั้น นับเป็นการรักษาด้วยวิธีการผ่าตัดอวัยวะครั้งแรกในแผ่นดินสยาม

      สมเด็จเจ้าพระยาบรมมหาประยูรวงศ์สร้างอนุสาวรีย์ปืนสามกระบอก เมื่อปีวอก อัฐศกจุลศักราช ๑๑๙๘ (พุทธศักราช ๒๓๗๙) หลังเหตุการณ์ปืนแตกไม่นาน โดยทำเป็นเจดีย์ยอดปืนใหญ่ ตั้งอยู่บริเวณใกล้กับพระบรมธาตุมหาเจดีย์ ต่อมา เมื่อพุทธศักราช ๒๔๒๘ เจ้าพระยาภาสกรวงศ์ (พร บุนนาค) บุตรคนสุดท้องของสมเด็จเจ้าพระยาบรมมหาประยูรวงศ์ ผู้สถาปนาพระอาราม ได้ย้ายอนุสาวรีย์นี้มาสร้างใหม่ภายในบริเวณเขามอ

      ลักษณะทางสถาปัตยกรรมอนุสาวรีย์ปืนสามกระบอก แท่นฐานทำเป็นสี่เหลี่ยมอย่างง่าย มีปืนใหญ่สามกระบอกปักลงไปในแท่น หัวท้ายศิลปะนูนต่ำมีรูปหัวสิงโตยื่นออกมา หน้าแท่นมีแผ่นจารึกข้อความเป็นภาษาไทยและภาษาอังกฤษอย่างละแผ่นระบุว่า "อนุสาวรีย์นี้ได้สร้างขึ้นเมื่อปีวอก อัฐศก ศักราช ๑๑๙๘ ให้เป็นที่ระลึกแห่งปืนใหญ่ระเบิด เป็นที่เสียชีวิตหลาย ในเวลามีงานมหกรรมการฉลองพระอารามนี้ โดยสมเด็จเจ้าพระยาบรมมหาประยูรวงศ์ ผู้สร้างพระอารามนี้ ได้ปฏิสังขรณ์ใหม่ ในปีระกา สัปตศักราช ๑๒๔๙ โดยปัจฉิมบุตรของท่าน พระยาภาสกรวงศ์ เพื่อเป็นที่ระลึกถึงพระเดชพระคุณท่านผู้สร้างสืบไป

The Three Cannons Monument
 
      The Three-Cannon Monument, located on the Rockery, was erected as a memorial to those who lost their lives in an accident caused by the explosion of a cannon that was used for a firework display during a celebration at the temple in 1836.  The accident resulted in seven deaths and a number of casualties.
               
      Dr. Dan B. Bradley, an American missionary, described the incident. When the fuse was lit, the cannon exploded and the shrapnel caused death and injury. The accident was recorded in the Rattanakosin Chronicles of the Third Reign, the version supervised by Chao Phraya Thiphakorawong (Khum Bunnag), a son of Somdetch Chao Phrya Borom Maha Prayunrawongse. Part of it reads, “…On Friday in the second lunar month on the seventh waxing Moon night, Chao Phraya Phra Khlang organized a celebration of Wat Prayurawongsawas. The monks found a cannon with a broken gunpowder container lying in the temple grounds; the cannon took a five-inch cannon ball so they adapted it for shooting fireworks. The fuse was lit causing the cannon to explode.  …” 

      At that time Dr. Bradley lived in a house near the pier at Wat Prayurawongsawas that he rented from Somdetch Chao Phraya Borom Maha Prayunrawongse, who held the title Chao Phraya Phra Khlang. (Originally Dr. Bradley had stayed with the Portuguese at Santa Cruz Church.) This house was about 250 meters from where the accident occurred. Somdetch Chao Phraya Borom Maha Prayunrawongse asked Dr. Bradley to help take care of the injured. One monk suffered from severely broken bones in the arm and Dr. Bradley needed to amputate. This operation was successful and the wound healed in quite a short time. This operation that took place at Wat Prayurawongsawas can be regarded as the first example of Western surgery in Siam.

      Somdetch Chao Phraya Borom Maha Prayunrawongse had a monument of three cannons built in the Year of the Monkey, Attha Sok in 1198 Chula Era or 1836 A.D., shortly after the accident. The monument was a Chedi surmounted with three cannons. This monument was first located near the Borom That Maha Chedi. In 1885, Chao Phraya Bhasakorawongse (Phon Bunnag), the youngest son of the founder of the temple, had the monument moved to the Rockery.

      The monument consists of three cannons, firmly installed on a simple rectangular base. The ends of the base are decorated with a bas relief, with the head of a lion projecting from each end. The front of the base is fitted with two plaques, one inscribed in Thai and the other in English, with the statement, “This monument was erected in the Year of the Monkey, the Attha Sok in 1198 Chula Era, as a reminder of the explosion of the cannon that caused the loss of many lives during the time of the celebration of this temple. It was built by the command of Somdetch Chao Phraya Borom Maha Pryunrawongse, the temple’s founder. It was renovated in the Year of the Rooster in 1249 Suptha Era, by his youngest son, Phraya Bhasakorawongse, in memory of his late father.”